SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday 2 May 2018

Animal Outing and Pick a Pennant

Good Day Crafty Friends,
 
Hope you have had a marvellous day. Mine was spent crafting, so I have had a wonderfully productive one.
 
I decided to ink up the new stamp sets I got in my goodie bag at Onstage. The Pick a Pennant and Animal Outing stamp sets will be available June 1st, from the Annual Catalogue.
 
I have combined the two sets to create a baby themed card. The sentiments lend themselves to such a theme and I have stamped the "Welcome" and "Little One" on the inside.



I love playing with little stamps, especially when creating backgrounds. The Pick A Pennant stamp set has 76 stamps. It is such a cute set that comes with Framelits to die cut the Banners.  The majority of the stamps is a full alphabet set, but there are also 23 stamps with images, including different patterns for creating the Banner.
 
I have used these little pattern stamps to create the background, stamping randomly with Smoky Slate, Flirty Flamingo and Lemon Lime Twist inks.
 
The cute Rhino, Bird and Frog have all been coloured using Stampin' Blends and then fussy cut. I tucked a little Powder Pink ribbon under the card front before adhering to the Whisper White card base. I altered the ribbon a little by stripping a few strands to reveal the raw silver edge.



Tips for creating backgrounds:
 
 
 
You can get so much more value from your stamp sets when using them to create backgrounds or what I call my own DSP.  Stamps of any size can be used, but I find people tend to "forget" about the little guys. Little stamps are great for providing a little interest, especially on cards.
 
Start by randomly stamping on scratch paper. I often find if I am not restricting myself and just go loose, its during these messy sessions I discover a cool pattern, which stamps look good together etc. 
 
Try stamping in Black ink and colouring the images with your favourite colouring medium. If using bright bold colours, add a piece of Vellum to tone it down, so it doesn't distract from your focal point.
 
Using Versamark ink is a lovely way to create backgrounds with any sized stamps, without detracting from your focal point.
 
When using vivid bright colours, I like to leave a lot of white space, otherwise it can be too fussy, especially when adding sentiments and other embellishments.
 
More often than not, I cannot afford to purchase the matching DSP to all the suites I like,  but have found this way of creating your own DSP is a cost effective way of achieving a similar look.
 
Until next time, stay crafty
 
 
 

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments xx